Staff Engineer at Depop - London, United Kingdom / Remote (United Kingdom)
Salary £85,000 to £110,000 a year
Company Website https://www.depop.com
Published September 2022
Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
Our brand operates on three values:
- Circularity - We’re taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people’s relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression - We’re a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity - We’re building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
Depop is searching for a Staff Engineer (remote or London-based). We are looking for somebody to own and drive best practices, improve processes, provide support across the backend function and contribute meaningfully to the long term vision of backend engineering at Depop. As a key member of the team you’ll bring the expertise and experience to help to plan, architect and direct projects from inception to delivery.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog!
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Define or be the main contributor to the evolving backend technology vision, strategy, architecture and innovation initiatives.
- Identify and independently own and lead company level Technology Programmes which generate business value
- Actively participate at a company-level, scoping and setting technical direction and supporting requirements gathering for key projects and initiatives.
- Provide technical training, mentoring and coaching to backend engineers.
- Assist teams in making technical choices that are able to withstand changing business environments.
- Recommend new technologies that can help increase productivity of our engineers.
- Supervise and oversee opportunities for collaboration around common technical projects.
- Ensure the software is produced to the required quality, reliability and scalability standards.
- Identify and address technical debt and risks that are likely to impact the performance of software in production.
- Regularly attend ceremonies to discuss projects, brainstorm ideas, and put forward solutions to requirements and issues.
You don’t need to “tick all the boxes” to apply!
- Proven track record of leading successful and broadly impactful initiatives across the business.
- Able to analyze a complex problem and design a solution for it.
- Strong communication and influencing skills with the ability to create alignment across teams.
- Has a customer-centric and product-focused approach to problem solving.
- Confident managing across teams and supporting business stakeholders.
- Able to apply a qualitative approach to problem solving.
- Proven experience in high-level programming languages, like Java, Scala and Kotlin.
- Proven experience in software design, development and deployment.
- Proven experience building complex, reliable, scalable systems in Cloud environments.
- Strong background in JVM languages: Kotlin/Scala/Java.
- Deep understanding of RDBMS internals, preferably PostgreSQL.
- Author of technical blog posts or conference speaker.
Development at Depop
We want to give our engineers the opportunity to learn and grow at Depop. So if you're keen to gain experience in another language or new area of engineering we can make it happen as part of your career journey with us. Depop offers the opportunity to work with such a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- Cash-plan or PMI - you have the choice of a healthcare plan that best suits you
- Subsidised counselling and coaching - we partner with Selfspace to provide you the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme - choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders - we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave with the option to carryover up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress
- 2 activism days per year for you to use for volunteering, demonstrations or internal initiatives
- We offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
We’re Flexa® accredited, meaning we offer genuinely flexible working;
We'd love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week!
Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be "Office-Based", with your very own desk.
Do you do your best work from home? You can also request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year *role dependent
In the office, we provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee and the occasional surprise treats!
All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
Apply to work abroad 4 weeks of the year (in UK tax treaty countries)
- Maternity + Paternity Leave, plus adoption leave, IVF leave, shared parental leave + paid emergency parent/carer leave
Learn and Grow
- We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)