- Upload Your CV
- Go to your Inbox & Confirm Your Application
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270+ rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists who are making an impact on how people travel through the use of high-quality software.
At Trainline we have a modern and scalable tech platform that is built for volume and feature growth. Our mission is to find the perfect journey for our customer, and to do it in a fast, intuitive, reliable, and economic way. In a highly dynamic industry and with the ever-changing needs of our users, we must be ready to act, test, and measure quickly, in a way that only extensive and focused use of technology can enable us to. We have the power to revolutionise our customers’ travel experience through technology innovation.
Did you know that Trainline has:
· 20+ engineering teams
· 400+ software engineers
· 40+ daily Production deployments
· 600 services
· 96m+ monthly visits
Introducing the Platform Team.. 👋
Our App Platform team constantly work for improving our App and its foundations, being the core behind all our verticals. They do this by basing it on 3 main domains:
Digital Experience: which provide horizontal features which are used across multiple verticals as direct value to our customers.
Developer Experience: focused on anything which can improve our engineering work (ie. making the release process easier.)
Lastly, Platform Evolution: focused on researching how we can apply new technologies to our Apps.
The different mobile teams at Trainline are the people who build the travel companion in your pocket. They own the mobile app that allows you to travel smart and the buy-flow process that helps you get there. Key technologies include: Kotlin, RxJava, Dagger, Swift, with a huge focus on quality and clean code.
As a Principal Android Developer at Trainline, you will:
· Join a highly skilled development team, building and delivering maintainable and robust software
· Act as a leader within the team by driving cross-team activities, presenting stuff to the wider business & helping to fuel the community spirit at Trainline
· Bring a range of in-depth technical knowledge
· Be influencing the team, project and how they can work to the best of their ability
· Be actively involved in all aspects of the product lifecycle from the beginning to release
· Act as a leader within the team by driving cross-team activities, presenting stuff and
· Promote predictability within the team and focusing on the outcomes rather than delivering a shopping list of features to deadlines
· Regularly use pair programming – two brains are better than one!
· Be encouraged to blog about technical innovation on Trainline’s engineering blog; expect support from management to achieve this as we strongly believe in showcasing what we learn back into the wider app community
But why should you join?
You will be working in a high performing and collaborative multi-cultural team. We have over 42 nationalities across our 5 offices in London, Paris, Edinburgh, Barcelona and Milan who work closely together.
We want our people to stretch their minds, abilities, and share their knowledge. Each year we hold The Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
We've always paid special attention to flexible working as we value a strong work/life balance. The pandemic has taught us that a balance between remote working and being in a collaborative office environment leads to productive teams.
Coaches Over Heroes
We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility. It is within a supportive team that you will feel the strength to thrive and try new things knowing that everyone will be there for you along the way.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.